A little teaser to let you know what's in store in this novel...

A video made by students like you!

Blog Etiquette

BLOG ETIQUETTE

We use manners in our daily interactions (hopefully) and you will be expected to use some manners and follow some guidelines on this blog. This is a moderated blog. That means that when you post a comment it will not appear immediately but will be held until approval is granted by Mrs. Trumier.

Blog Rules: (Many of these are obvious, but...)

1. No vulgarity. You must use language that would be appropriate for a class discussion (with your teacher present!) No slang or texting abbreviations. Please do not LOL or OMG. This is still a class assignment, so your English should still be proper, though it may be informal. Any comments that are off-topic or inappropriate will not be posted.

2. Proofread for grammatical and spelling mistakes!

3. Do not include your own (or any other student's) actual names or personal information (phone numbers, addresses, city, etc.) in your comments.

4. Commenting on other student's comments is encouraged but be respectful of other's opinions even if you disagree.

5. Comments should have evidence of thought behind them. Do not write anything to irritate Mrs. Trumier:)





Monday, November 29, 2010

Joseph Strorm Question

How do you feel about Joseph Strorm?  Why?  Give examples from the novel to support your feelings and ideas.

11 comments:

  1. I feel that he isn't a very nice man because he is too strict. I think he needs to ease up a little on his kids especially David. Religion is important but he takes it way over the top, for example, he beats David just for mentioning that certain tasks would be easier if he had another arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. spiderman blue

    I really don't like Joseph. In the novel he is made to be aggressive and mean. He seems very anger all the time, when the inspector didn't come to check on Petra he got mad for example. He thinks that he is the most powerful and that nobody could control him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I do not like Joseph Strorm because he is a mean man who whipped his child and also, even though most of the people are like this, does not like people for who they are ("mutants").

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like Joseph Strorm, because he is a bully. He is very mean towards anyone who does not follow the same thing he follows. An example from the book that will support my ideas and feelings is "Not ashamed of producing a mockery of your Maker-not ashamed of trying to tempt your own sister in criminal conspiracy."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Joseph Strorm is corrupt. He has been completely brainwashed into thinking that his beliefs are the only way to be a good person, even though he has caused more pain than good. In the book, he beats his child because he was protecting his friend. How "holy" is that? He also played a part is causing Harriet to take her own life by abusing her to the point of not wanting to continue life. He is an abusive, superior minded person who is a major cause of turmoil in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not like Joseph Strorm, like everyone else I'm sure. I think that he is cruel, single minded, and heartless, he is controlled by his immense fear of God. He shows no mercy or understanding to "deviations" like Harriet's baby or Sophie. Joseph over reacts when David ACCIDENTLY says that something would be easier with an extra hand, Joseph treats him as if he had wished death upon someone.

    He is not exactly a popular person in Waknuk either as he is very nosy when it comes to other people's deviations and he forces the "law" upon them even though it is not his place and he might be mistaken like the situation with that poor women's tailless cat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Joseph is too strict about the deviation.
    I felt like that because he yelled, “accursed is the mutant” to Harriet and sent her away when she brought her baby. And when David muttered if he had another arm Joseph took it seriously and got really mad.
    I think the idea of deviation was supposed to be for suppressing blasphemy, but now Joseph is thinking it religiously too much instead of thinking it as a normal person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel Joseph Strom is a strict and sticks to what he believes in. He does not listen to anyone else. he is very mean for example when Harriet came to them and had her mutant baby even tho it was his sister in law he thought they should send it to the fringes or something.And also when Angus had the horse that where big Joseph became jealous and tried to report him but the inspector said the government said it was okay that really made Storm mad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joseph is so brainwashed, and I dont like him because of the way he treats people and treats his family. Just like that time when he was punishing David by whipping him, just to get information out of him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, The Ballerina, feel that Joseph is to strict that he comes up as mean and not understanding person. For example he didn't even consider letting Emily lend Harriet his daughter he just said no and she should go pray for the wrongs she has done. Joseph also beat his son for accidentally saying that he wanted a third hand and mad a huge seal about that. I know he comes from that kind of society but come on, he doesn't even let it slide for his own family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dislike Joseph Strom. He is too uptight about religion and everything being normal and the law. He would throw his friends and family under the bus to follow religion and law. Aunt Harriet was asking for Emily's help and Emily told Joseph. Joseph and Emily kicked out Aunt Harriet at her worst time of need. When David was younger, he was having trouble with a few things and he just said that it would be easier if he had an extra hand. Joseph whipped David for saying that. He accused David of mocking the creation of God.

    ReplyDelete