A little teaser to let you know what's in store in this novel...

A video made by students like you!

Blog Etiquette

BLOG ETIQUETTE

We use manners in our daily interactions (hopefully) and you will be expected to use some manners and follow some guidelines on this blog. This is a moderated blog. That means that when you post a comment it will not appear immediately but will be held until approval is granted by Mrs. Trumier.

Blog Rules: (Many of these are obvious, but...)

1. No vulgarity. You must use language that would be appropriate for a class discussion (with your teacher present!) No slang or texting abbreviations. Please do not LOL or OMG. This is still a class assignment, so your English should still be proper, though it may be informal. Any comments that are off-topic or inappropriate will not be posted.

2. Proofread for grammatical and spelling mistakes!

3. Do not include your own (or any other student's) actual names or personal information (phone numbers, addresses, city, etc.) in your comments.

4. Commenting on other student's comments is encouraged but be respectful of other's opinions even if you disagree.

5. Comments should have evidence of thought behind them. Do not write anything to irritate Mrs. Trumier:)





Tuesday, December 7, 2010

THE LAST QUESTION - SO MAKE IT A GOOD ANSWER!

Which character seems the most admirable to you?  Why?

Now don't get confused, girls - this is just Mrs. C editorializing a little here to make the post a little more fun.  This has nothing to do with the question.  I was reading a few reviews of The Chrysalids and a few people have said that it reminded them a  bit of the movie "Blast From the Past" with one of my favorite actors, Brendan Fraser.  So if you're in the mood for an older movie and a not-too-hard-to-look-at actor, it is a great movie.  (I think the book tie-in would be the post-nuclear disaster theme.)
This video clip has nothing to do with the assigned question and you are not required to watch it, but it is kind of amusing.  Brendan Fraser has grown up his entire life underground in a fallout shelter with only his parents for company.

11 comments:

  1. I greatly admire Rosalind for her strength and determination. She has always been prepared for the worst. She has thought of every possible scenario and always has a solution. Even though David thinks that Rosalind puts on a sort of "shield" that isn't her true self, I admire her strength to be able to put emotions aside and think practically. Despite the emotional block, Rosalind still shows compassion when needed. She loves David and is loyal to him at all times. She also has a tender side when comforting Petra from time to time and has patience when Petra is learning to use thought shapes. She never breaks down and has always been loyal to the group.
    Rosalind may come off as cold and may offend some characters, but she is a good person at heart. It is amazing that even though women are seen as inferior in the book, she does not back down and makes sure she gets her point across. She is a very strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spiderman blue


    My most admired person in the novel is Aunt Harriet. She had her baby and lost it and herself because she knew it would have been brought to the fringes. I love her courage to ask her hard core Waknuk sister to help her with the certificate.
    I admire that she loved her deviational child against everything she has been taught and lived around her whole life. She is a very strong woman. She believed she would rather not be alive that live knowing her baby may not survive.
    Harriet's unconditional love and courage makes her my most admirable character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire Rosalind. She is a survivor When it is needed she is soft and compassionate. She is caring when it comes to Petra, loving to David, but when she is in trouble she is tough. David says she puts up a shield and hides herself, she has had to do that because of the cruel world she lives in. She has simply learned to survive and to help the ones that she loves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Petra. I think she's so cute and innocent, and I like that she is born with a strong mind-power. I wonder what will happen to her, and I hope nothing bad. She is nice to everyone and since she can communicate with people from Sealand, maybe she can help to change David's society a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire Harriet David's mothers sister the most because she was willing to break the law to keep her baby and make sure her baby grew up. But that was not possible. So instead of being tossed of of their home and sent to the fringes or be murdered she kills her baby and herself. I think would choose that instead of being an outcast just because there was one think wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Sophie because even though she has a visible deviation, she knows and believes that she is no different than a normal human being in Waknuk. She had the courage to go to the Fringes with her parents and still live her life there the way she wanted (she fell in love with the spider-man).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire Petra the most because she is so young and is dealing with stuff that is way beyond her level of comprehension. And even though she doesn't understand what is going on she is doing a great job trying to keep up with David and Rosalind. And if it wasn't for Petra the rest of them wouldn't be in contact with the Sealand people and help wouldn't be on the way. I wish I had the strength that Petra does to deal with what is going on the way she is!! GIIIRL POWWERR!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The character I most admire is Sophie because she is very strong emotionally. I don't think I could live a normal life for 10 years and then be sent away from my family. I could not also be physically hurt in the way she was. Even though she went through all that she still helps David and his friends get away safely, hopefully? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire Sophie because she is a very strong and determined person. Even though Sophie was considered a deviation in the eyes of the Waknuk people she did not seem like a deviation to me. Sophie was able to look beyond peoples appearance and to see who they really were. I also admire Sophie because she was so strong to be able to hide herself from everyone and also to be able to leave her home and everything she knew. Sophie was also very strong because when she has to go and save Rosalind and Petra she did what she needed to do to help others. I think Sophie was able to survive in the fringes because of this amazing strength and determination to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the most admirable character in the story was Katherine and Sally. I think so because when they were tortured, they broke up but kept the secret that there are other people who can use telepathy. If they had broke up, Michael must have been captured so he would not have been able to tell David’s group Waknuk people’s course, and they must have been captured.
    They sacrificed their lives to help them escape, so I admire Katherine and Sally the most.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The character i most admire in the book is Sophie. Sophie was taught that no one must know abot her deviation. When her and David were playing,she got hurt and she tried to keep her secret until it wasnt possible and she told David. Sophie had to go the fringes when she wasyoung when she knew all the stories of the fringes and she still did it. She is very strong. When David, Petra, and Rosalind came to the Fringes, Sophie turned into a way stronger and tougher Sophie. Sophie was not with her parents and she would be really lonely and sad but she was still really strong.

    ReplyDelete